Tuesday, August 2, 2011

074. Dreams

I was struck by the dreamlike nature of Sabin Aell's "Anatomy of Time" series of digital images, and wanted to create something similarly æthereal and dreamlike... Not sure that I am there yet but I like the picture as a step on the way. And yes, more sunflowers, I find them quite an ugly flower when they are cut, no subtlety to them at all, but as they grow  and fade in their natural cycle, and of course up close, they are quite absorbing.


I try to describe the matter of fact weird logic of dreams to him, knowing that he says he does not dream. I have not been at his side long enough to know if this is true, not lain awake and watched his eyelids flicker with the muscular stirrings of the orb underneath. The logic is not if x then y, but and then. Like, I was playing with my brother in the garden and then we were back at school and you were there; and the transition is so seamless it must of course be the logical thing to happen next.
In my waking life I miss the transitions, but sometimes I am in a different place to the one I thought I was in, and I don't know how it ended up that way, I say. He thinks that is feeble, he wants to think that only conscious decisions count; I rail against this, inwardly. Us is not a conscious decision, each time he thinks about it consciously, with his conscience, we end, for a while. I wish he would dream.

2 comments:

  1. These are really gorgeous pics.

    I miss the transitions too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these images.

    I think the dreams can sometimes teach us more than logical thinking despite the fact that it's difficult to comprehend them.

    ReplyDelete