Monday, August 1, 2011

073. Tall stories

Away for a long weekend, seeing the latest addition to the family (a 3 day old nephew) and spending time with the existing nieces so they don't feel left out of the attention loop. Wonderful family times, and it leaves me pondering on my lack of motherhood and all of that; a little deep for my first post back and trying to catch up; I'll carry on pondering and in the meantime let Dorothee's "miles" take me in a different direction... or maybe a parallel one...


I saw someone who looked like you today. He was a couple of inches taller than you, your age more or less; Annelise knew him and put him in the same school year as you. A little slimmer and he had more hair too. I think the hair was a mistake, it made him look slightly simple whereas your shaven dome adds some gravitas. I did not say it but "much needed" whispers through my thoughts whenever I think of you and gravitas in the same sentence. I did not stare at him, not overtly, but while he was there I watched from a distance, trying to see what was the same, what was different.
I think it was only that he had not touched me. He might have done, I was curious enough to find that an attractive idea, but you took away my sparkle and I did not even try to cast a glimmer his way. I thought about him catching me watching him. Him seeing my confusion and having his interest piqued even though I did not mean to, I only wanted to watch from a distance. Is that true? It is too long since you touched me.

1 comment: