Saturday, June 11, 2011

022. Flowers

With Valerie Brodie's unfurling unfolding rose in my minds eye, I bought flowers in the market this morning. The cobblestones and pavements are at last beginning to be replaced after the market square has been half dug up for what seems like months. Fine grit gets into my open toed sandals. Orange lilies for Seville. Which led me back to Katie Bentley's Rose Cathedral. Growth and death; beauty and religion. My thoughts are too convoluted for straight words today.


Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these [...] Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. 
This bible quote seems a fine exhortation of passivity, and is followed up with the suggestive phrase "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof," with its hints that thinking about tomorrow today allows evil to spill over into the future. For God's sake little children, do not think about the future or you will ruin it.
To be blunt, it's not pleasant to think that Seville is a corpse, that we will all be corpses in the future; but not thinking about it seems to be a case of wilful self-delusion. Blind faith if you will.

4 comments:

  1. Your work today inspired Steve Ersinghaus and his poem in turn inspired the move I made on my painting... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really appreciate it if you would please correct my name as well as the link to my blog.

    Thanks,

    Katie Bentley
    http://snowbirdbentley.blogspot.com/2011/06/013-rose-cathedral.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops - where is my brain? corrected now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!! It was quite a comical mistake-since my mom's name is Karen.

    ReplyDelete