Monday, June 6, 2011

017. Blocks

Janelle Stone again provided an image which chimed exactly with the things I was seeing around me in Berlin, her "construction" below left with its subtle shadows and grey tones was in my head when I saw the "Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas" on a scorching hot Saturday. A controversial monument, its scale is the immediately impressive thing about it, but being able to walk into the middle of the field of blocks, see the undulating ground beneath and feel each block has been placed just so, that creeps up on you and makes you contemplate...




you                                                                                                                                             
pile                    things 
                                                                           on me
think my 
                                               corners
should                                                                  be 
                                                                           smoothed
                       where                              is 
my 
                        space?



Postscript: 
At 21:44, 6th June, I "murdered" my cat Seville
 after a sudden illness

3 comments:

  1. I love how the structure of your poem so resembles the order of Janelle's photograph, flashes of glossy windows high and low, the eye's zinging movement that is both linear and random. A good photographer friend, Jeff Lamb, and I had a years-long conversation about corners that lasted right up until his passing a few months ago. Expect to see this post of yours reflected in something of mine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I'm sorry about Seville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. Berlin vibrates through your recent entries. i was there 3 years ago, and this took me right back. love your creative take, here and in the neighbouring posts.

    ReplyDelete