Friday, May 27, 2011

007. trees

Barbara Laucius is celebrating natural beauty in her 100 days project bearbonesart.blogspot.com/ which brought me to contemplate her picture of birches in an Alaskan spring-not-yet-summer. My mind making connections to the blog carnival >language>place (which I will host around 4 weeks from today) from the first carnival I heard of, a tree carnival. Making connections through the carnival and also through this project. Also in my head the following refrain from a Nirvana song. And the poem I wrote for the lightning struck tree I pass on my way to work.

     My girl, my girl, don't lie to me
     Tell me where did you sleep last night

     In the pines, in the pines
     Where the sun don't ever shine
     I would shiver the whole night through 




                                                                                                                                     blasted
                                                                                                                                     blasted but beautiful still
                                                                                                                                     in its way, most days
                                                                                                                                     I drive right by
                                                                                                                                     but I stopped this morning,
                                                                                                                                     I wanted to see
                                                                                                                                     if it still lived
                                                                                                                                     with its heart splintered so



1 comment:

  1. Julia, this is lovely, how you put the pieces together and now, I see a connection of a tree with its branches still connected by its base. Beautiful photo and your poem is so haunting.

    ReplyDelete